09 489 3015

Powers Of Attorney

Powers of Attorney

If you are going overseas or will be away from home for a while, and need to have documents signed during that time, you can set up a power of attorney. This will enable the person of your choice to sign on your behalf.

However, it's important to note that a power of attorney cannot be used in all situations.  For example, a power of attorney cannot be used to sign for an absent company director. Also, not all power of attorney documents allow a person to sign as a trustee under a power of attorney.  For that, the power of attorney form needs to include a deed of delegation. 

As our baby boomers are now reaching their "golden years" we are recommending that our clients appoint someone to be their "enduring power of attorney".  There are 2 sorts of enduring powers of attorney, one for personal care and welfare and the other for property.  The important difference between these and the general powers of attorney are that the enduring ones do not become ineffective if the person giving the power becomes mentally incapable. 

The forms that we use have many options and at WebsterLaw we can discuss these with you and advise what's best for you. We prepare the documents, have you sign them and catalogue them in our deeds system so that they are readily available if needed.